Why is marketing management important to businesses?
The heart of any brand lies in its marketing efforts.
The revenue or customer engagement efforts of the company are largely dependent on how successful its marketing or advertising campaigns are. Therefore, effective marketing management is key to a brand’s reputation in the global market.Contact us to know more
Contact us to know more
Philip Kotler, a renowned marketing guru, defines marketing management as:
“The process of bringing required changes to sales operations through the effective planning, implementation and analysis of marketing techniques.”
Simply put, it is the effective handling of marketing or branding campaigns that result in more sales or a better reputation for the company.
In today’s competitive business landscape, effective marketing management plays a pivotal role in the success and growth of businesses. With ever-increasing globalisation and rapidly evolving consumer behaviour, businesses need to learn the importance of a marketing strategy to stay ahead of the curve.
This blog explores the significance of marketing management, its role in business growth, the marketing management process, career opportunities in marketing management, and highlights the overall importance of marketing for businesses.
What is Marketing Management?
Marketing management is the process of planning, implementing, and controlling marketing activities to achieve organisational goals. Marketing management encompasses a wide range of tasks, including market research, target audience identification, product development, pricing, distribution, advertising, and customer relationship management.
At its core, marketing management aims to understand the needs and wants of customers and develop strategies to satisfy those needs profitably. By effectively managing marketing activities, businesses can create a strong brand presence, attract and retain customers, and generate revenue.
It is a multidimensional discipline that requires a combination of creativity, analytical skills, strategic thinking, and effective communication. It involves developing a marketing plan, setting goals, allocating resources, and monitoring the performance of marketing campaigns.
By employing effective marketing management practices, businesses can gain a competitive edge, expand their market share, and achieve sustainable business growth.
Importance of Marketing Management to a Business
Marketing management holds immense importance for businesses due to several key reasons:
1. Enhanced Customer Understanding
Marketing management enables businesses to gain a deep understanding of their target customers. Through market research and analysis, businesses can identify customer preferences, demographics, and buying behaviour.
This information helps in creating tailored marketing campaigns and delivering products or services that align with customer expectations, ultimately leading to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
2. Competitive Advantage
In a saturated market, businesses must differentiate themselves from competitors to gain a competitive edge. Marketing management allows businesses to develop unique value propositions, positioning strategies, and effective branding techniques.
By effectively communicating their unique selling points to the target audience, businesses can stand out in the market and attract more customers, leading to a sustainable competitive advantage.
3. Revenue Generation
Marketing management directly affects revenue generation by driving customer acquisition and sales. Well-executed marketing campaigns help businesses attract potential customers, generate leads, and convert them into paying customers.
Through targeted promotional activities, businesses can increase brand awareness, stimulate demand, and ultimately drive revenue growth.
4. Adaptability to Market Changes
The market landscape is constantly evolving, influenced by factors such as technological advancements, economic conditions, and shifting consumer preferences.
Marketing management enables businesses to stay agile and adapt to these changes. By monitoring market trends, conducting market research, and analysing consumer feedback, businesses can adjust their marketing strategies and stay relevant in the ever-changing market, ensuring long-term sustainability.
What are the processes involved in Marketing Management?
Effective marketing management involves a systematic approach comprising several key steps, such as,
1. Conducting thorough market analysis-
Before developing marketing strategies, businesses need to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the market. This involves studying market trends, competitor analysis, and identifying target customer segments.
Through market analysis, businesses gain insights into market demand, customer needs, and potential opportunities for growth.
2. Setting clear marketing objectives-
Clear and measurable marketing objectives are crucial for guiding marketing activities. Businesses need to define specific goals, such as increasing market share, expanding customer base, or launching new products.
Well-defined objectives provide a roadmap for the marketing team and ensure alignment with the overall business strategy.
3. Developing marketing strategies-
Once the objectives are set, businesses can develop effective marketing strategies. These strategies outline the approach to reach the target audience, position the product or service, and communicate the brand message.
It involves selecting the right marketing channels, pricing strategies, promotional activities, and distribution methods.
4. Implementation of strategies and sincere execution-
With the strategies in place, the marketing team executes the planned activities. This includes designing marketing campaigns, creating compelling content, managing advertising efforts, and coordinating with sales teams.
Effective implementation requires close collaboration between different departments to ensure consistency in messaging and brand representation.
5. Monitoring the implementations and continuous evaluation-
Continuous monitoring and evaluation are crucial to measure the effectiveness of marketing efforts. Key performance indicators (KPIs) such as customer engagement, lead generation, sales conversion rates, and return on investment (ROI) help assess the success of marketing campaigns.
Based on the insights gathered, businesses can make data-driven decisions and refine their marketing strategies for optimal results.
What are the successful careers in Marketing Management?
The field of marketing management offers diverse career opportunities for individuals with strong analytical, creative, and strategic skills. Some prominent career paths in marketing management are,
1. Marketing Manager-
Marketing managers are responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies to achieve organisational goals. They oversee marketing campaigns, manage budgets, analyse market trends, and coordinate with cross-functional teams to drive business growth.
2. Digital Marketing Specialist-
With the rise of digital platforms, the demand for digital marketing specialists has surged.
These professionals specialise in online marketing channels such as social media, search engine optimisation (SEO), content marketing, and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. They strategise and execute digital marketing campaigns to enhance brand visibility and drive online customer engagement.
3. Market Research Analyst-
Market research analysts gather and analyse data to help businesses understand market trends, consumer behaviour, and competitive landscapes. They conduct surveys, interviews, and data analysis to provide insights that inform marketing strategies and support business decision-making.
4. Brand Manager-
Brand managers are responsible for managing and maintaining a strong brand image. They develop brand strategies, oversee brand positioning, and ensure consistent brand communication across all marketing channels.
Brand managers work closely with creative teams and marketing specialists to build brand equity and drive customer loyalty.
What is the importance of marketing management for businesses?
Marketing plays a vital role in the success and growth of businesses. It is the bridge that connects businesses with their target customers, enabling them to create awareness, build relationships, and drive sales.
Some of the key benefits of marketing for businesses include,
- Increased Brand Awareness- Effective marketing campaigns create brand awareness and recognition. By reaching out to the target audience through various channels, businesses can ensure their brand remains top-of-mind when customers make purchasing decisions.
- Customer Acquisition and Retention- Marketing activities such as lead generation, advertising, and customer relationship management help businesses attract new customers and retain existing ones. Through personalised marketing efforts, businesses can build strong customer relationships and foster loyalty.
- Business Growth and Expansion- Strategic marketing initiatives contribute to business growth and expansion. By identifying market opportunities, launching new products, and entering new market segments, businesses can tap into untapped potential and increase their market share.
- Competitive Edge- Marketing provides businesses with a competitive edge by differentiating their offerings from competitors. Effective branding, unique value propositions, and targeted messaging allow businesses to stand out in crowded markets and attract customers.
- Long-Term Sustainability- Marketing ensures the long-term sustainability of businesses by adapting to market changes, meeting customer needs, and staying ahead of the competition. By continuously analysing market trends and consumer behaviour, businesses can stay relevant and thrive in dynamic environments.
Apart from these benefits, learning effective marketing management strategies can allow you to remove the guesswork from your campaigns. You will be able to help your brand leverage the available marketing tools for the best customer engagement as a marketing manager.
In today’s rapid globalisation, marketing management is especially important for smaller businesses because it gives them a footing to compete with larger players in the field. Thorough customer research, creative campaigns and marketing strategies and positive branding can go a long way in providing a brand with an edge over its competition.
Moreover, a successful marketing management approach aligns businesses with market trends, enhances customer engagement, and contributes to overall business success. Embracing marketing management as a core function is essential for businesses to thrive and leave a lasting impact in their respective industries.
Hence, investing your time and efforts in learning marketing management from an international business management course can also brighten your career prospects within the advertising industry.
International business management graduates have become successful product managers, marketing managers, media planners and market researchers and achieved excellence with their skills. And what better place to pursue these skills from, than Gisma University of Applied Sciences!
Experience the captivating realm of international business and corporate global leadership with the MSc International Business Management offered by Gisma University of Applied Sciences.
Embark on a transformative journey that equips you with invaluable skills in cross-cultural leadership, international strategic management, marketing, and CEO decision-making. This comprehensive program encompasses all facets of the business landscape, enabling you to acquire the expertise necessary to secure an exhilarating position within a global organisation.
Click here to know more about MSc International Business Management offered by Gisma right away!
This article is written by Sushree Saloni Rath.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the role of marketing management in the modern business world?
- In the modern business world, marketing management plays a crucial role in achieving organisational goals and maintaining a competitive edge. Its primary objective is to identify and satisfy customer needs profitably through effective planning, implementation, and control of marketing activities.
- What are the main points of marketing management?
- The main points of marketing management include market research, product development, pricing, distribution, promotion, and customer relationship management.
- What is the importance of marketing for business?
- Marketing is important for businesses as it helps in creating awareness, generating sales, building brand reputation, understanding customer preferences, and adapting to changing market dynamics.
- What is marketing management in business?
- Marketing management in business involves strategising and executing marketing efforts to drive business growth and profitability.