Social Science BA (Hons)
This course is delivered and awarded by Arden University at the Arden Study Centre Berlin.
Arden University's BA (Hons) Social Science course allows you to explore a range of other disciplines such as sociology, criminology, psychology and law, policy making and ethics. You will discover the history of criminal behaviour and learn about new waves of crime such as terrorism, cybercrime and more. The programme is ideal if you have a real interest in issues affecting the world and see yourself working in welfare and housing, youth and community services, HR and industrial relations, among others. The blended learning element provides high-quality 21st century learning with both face-to-face and online learning taking place.
You’ll study in Germany, the most popular option for international students looking to study in Europe. Germany is recognised for its high-quality education.*
*According to statistics and data from ICEF monitor.
Flexible payment plans available* - please see the fees and funding tab.
This programme is designed, delivered and awarded by Arden University, a UK university regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency for England (QAA) and the UK government. Arden has helped 50,000 students succeed over 26 years of supporting higher education learners around the world. 96% of graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating.*
*2016/17 Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE)
4.2 out of 5 stars - Arden University are highly rated by their students.
If you find yourself always questioning why and how certain things happen in society, this course will help you delve deeper into the core of each issue and help you find an answer to your questions. You will assess current debates within the field and decide for yourself how much or little they contribute to the wider arguments.
This course is perfect to build the skills and knowledge in a range of social science disciplines and explore careers within politics, public relations, social work, teaching, criminal justice system, among others.
The BA (Hons) in Social Science can be taken through a combination of face-to-face and online learning through the use of Arden University’s innovative distance learning techniques. You will also have access to online study materials and resources 24/7 to support independent study, as well as online lessons, tutorials, forums and virtual classrooms and libraries. Assessment methods consist of assignments, essays, presentations, case studies, portfolios and exams.
Across this programme, you’ll be asked to consider several different disciplines and you will have to ensure that you consider each one of these throughout your studies both independently and collectively to understand the foundations of society and the social world and how they impact and relate to one another. Students will develop their analytical and critical thinking skills as well evaluating data and research.
You will also assess current debates within the field and decide for yourself how much or little they contribute to the wider arguments.
Towards the end of the course you will undertake an independent research assignment into an area of your choosing.
- Skills for interdisciplinary study
- Law and ethics
- Introduction to social and developmental psychology
- Introduction to sociology
- Medicalisation of the self
- Crime and society
- Research and ethics in action
- Civil liberties and human rights
- Personality and intelligence
- Social psychology
- Contemporary debates in criminology
- Cyber communities and social networks
- Research planning and project
- Crime prevention
- Cross-cultural psychology
- Consumer society and the commodification of beings
Please note that the modules listed are indicative and may be subject to change.
- Enable students to gain a fundamental understanding of social and developmental psychology
- Learn all about the role sociology and criminology play within this field
- Discover the history of criminal behaviour and learn about new waves of crime such as terrorism, cybercrime and more
- Debate the influence of human rights
- Carry out a piece of independent research within an area of your interest
Having completed this degree, graduates will have a wide variety of career options to explore. These include, but are not limited to:
- Social work
- Criminal justice system and the police
- Planning and environmental management
- Public relations
- Media and market research
- Advertising and marketing
Graduates can also choose to embark on postgraduate study and pursue a master's degree.
- Voted 7th best city in the world for student living***
- Option to apply for a 18-month post-study residence permit**
- Excellent employment prospects*
- Learn from world-class international faculty in an international environment
- Reasonable cost of living in comparison to many other European countries
- Attractive to international students pursuing an education abroad
- Rich in culture, history and entertainment
- A vibrant start-up entrepreneurial city
- Study in Germany – the most popular option for international students^
* To become fully qualified within the Healthcare industry in Germany, you may be required to take an additional German course and examination which is approved by local authorities and accredited by relevant German institutions and associations.
** For more information please visit our section for International students.
*** By Top Universities in 2018.
^ Based on an annual survey by ICEF.
A deposit of €1,000 is required to begin with.
Arden University offers flexible payment plans* that allow you to spread the costs of your programme fees across multiple installments. If you apply today you can receive an early bird discount of €1,000.
- Key Facts
- Fees and Funding
- Entry Requirements