Psychology and Sociology BA (Hons)
The Psychology and Sociology BA (Hons) is delivered by Arden University UK at the Arden Study Centre Berlin.
Arden University's BA (Hons) Psychology and Sociology course will introduce you to social, developmental, cognitive and biological elements. You will discover key case studies within this field that have shaped the past as well as contemporary thinking. Get up close and personal with two social science courses. Psychology and sociology have a lot of similarities but also many differences. They both study human behaviour but incorporate very different methods and ideas. You will acquire a range of skills allowing you to explore a vast array of careers including counselling, teaching, journalism, politics, community, youth or social work, among others.
You’ll study in Germany, the most popular option for international students looking to study in Europe. Germany is recognised for its high-quality education.*
*According to statistics and data from ICEF monitor.
Flexible payment plans available* - please see the fees and funding tab.
This programme is designed, delivered and awarded by Arden University, a UK university regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency for England (QAA) and the UK government. Arden has helped 50,000 students succeed over 26 years of supporting higher education learners around the world. 96% of graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating.*
*2016/17 Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE)
4.2 out of 5 stars - Arden University are highly rated by their students.
If the human mind and behaviour fascinate you then you'll want to take this course and explore deeper your area of interest. Under psychology, you will take a look at individuals themselves, but under sociology, you will determine how wider societal factors can impact people. This course also suits those who require the flexibility this degree offers.
You will learn using a combination of face-to-face and online learning. Arden University's innovative distance learning techniques mix traditional face to face classes with the flexibility of online studying. You will also have access to online study materials and resources 24/7 to support independent study, as well as online lessons, tutorials, forums and virtual classrooms and libraries. Assessment methods consist of assignments, essays, presentations, case studies, portfolios and exams. In addition, you will receive regular academic support from Arden’s expert tutors and your own student support coordinator for any administrative, technical, or motivational help.
The degree will give you an introduction to social, developmental, biological and cognitive psychology. You will also be given an introduction to sociology and the main theories and individuals within this field. Along the way, you will be asked to consider best methodology practice and you will have to evaluate the ethical implications of all that you do.
Towards the end of your degree, you will get the opportunity to carry out a project into the research area of your choice guided by an expert tutor with experience in the field you choose to select.
- Skills for interdisciplinary study
- Introduction to social and developmental psychology
- Introduction to biological and cognitive psychology
- Introduction to sociology
- Medicalisation of the self
- Key studies in psychology
- Research and ethics in action
- Social psychology
- Personality and intelligence
- Abnormality and the deviant other
- Cyber communities and social networks
- Protests, mass movements and rebellion
- Contemporary developmental psychology
- Cross-cultural psychology
- Consumer society and the commodification of beings
- Insecurity and precariousness in the globalised world
- Research methods and final project
Please note that the modules listed are indicative and may be subject to change.
- Understand the different key concepts and competing theories of psychology that are used to explain the behaviour of individuals
- Learn how and why psychology and sociology differ in their explanations of human behaviour
- Consider the most prevalent studies within both these fields
- Carry out an independent study into an area of your interest
- Determine the most appropriate methodology and consider the ethics behind your research
Having completed this degree, graduates will have a wide variety of career options they can explore. These include, but are not limited to:
- International aid/development work
- Community, youth or social work
- Voted 7th best city in the world for student living by Top Universities in 2018***
- Option to apply for a 18-month post-study residence permit**
- Excellent employment prospects*
- Learn from world-class international faculty in an international environment
- Reasonable cost of living in comparison to many other European countries
- Attractive to international students pursuing an education abroad
- Rich in culture, history and entertainment
- A vibrant start-up entrepreneurial city
- Study in Germany – the most popular option for international students^
* To become fully qualified within the Healthcare industry in Germany, you may be required to take an additional German course and examination which is approved by local authorities and accredited by relevant German institutions and associations.
** For more information please visit our section for International students.
*** By Top Universities in 2018.
^ Based on an annual survey by ICEF.
A deposit of €1,000 is required to begin with.
Arden University offers flexible payment plans* that allow you to spread the costs of your programme fees across multiple installments. If you apply today you can receive an early bird discount of €1,000.
- Key Facts
- Fees and Funding
- Entry Requirements