Criminology and Sociology BA (Hons)
This course is delivered and awarded by Arden University at the Arden Study Centre Berlin.
Arden University's BA (Hons) Criminology and Sociology course provides you with an opportunity to study two complementary areas of social science with interdisciplinary modules that explore the relationships between crime and society. Students can expect to grasp a solid knowledge of social values, behaviours and change, as well as of the function and place of crime within modern societies.
You’ll study in Germany, the most popular option for international students looking to study in Europe. Germany is recognised for its high-quality education.*
*According to statistics and data from ICEF monitor.
Flexible payment plans available* - please see the fees and funding tab.
This programme is designed, delivered and awarded by Arden University, a UK university regulated by the Quality Assurance Agency for England (QAA) and the UK government. Arden has helped 50,000 students succeed over 26 years of providing higher education to students around the world. 96% of graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduating.*
*2016/17 Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE)
4.2 out of 5 stars - Arden University are highly rated by their students.
The course is perfect for those who aspire to gain an in-depth personal or professional knowledge in two leading fields in the social sciences, as well as grasp the interdisciplinary, critical comprehension of crime and social issues in the contemporary world. The programme will enable you to build a promising professional future in your area of choice.
- Provide a study of the foundations and theory of sociology and criminology and a firm grounding in related studies.
- Enable students to acquire a solid grounding in principles, theories and methods which will embrace all subject-specific abilities, transferable intellectual skills and key skills set down in the current Sociology and Criminology Subject Benchmarks for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Stimulate students into adopting an enquiring and critical appreciation of these disciplines as well as developing an appreciation of the national and international contexts in which they operate.
- Stimulate students into becoming critical and scientific-minded social scientists who can competently handle both sociological and criminological issues.
- Encourage students to accept responsibility for their own learning, as well as to support them to learn independently using initiative and self-discipline.
You will learn using a combination of face-to-face and online learning. Arden University's innovative distance learning techniques mix traditional face to face classes with the flexibility of online studying. You will also have access to online study materials and resources 24/7 to support independent study, as well as online lessons, tutorials, forums and virtual classrooms and libraries. Assessment methods consist of assignments, essays, presentations, case studies, portfolios and exams. In addition, you will receive regular academic support from Arden’s expert tutors and your own student support coordinator for any administrative, technical, or motivational help.
Students will develop skills needed to become a successful leader in this increasingly important industry, gaining a grounded insight into fundamentally vital aspects such as the social, political and ethical issues in international healthcare. Additional areas covered include financial control, budgeting, business analysis and planning.
- Skills for interdisciplinary study
- Crime and society
- Criminal justice system
- Introduction to sociology
- Medicalisation of the self
- Inequalities in the modern world
- Research and ethics in action
- Contemporary debates in criminology
- Environmental criminology
- Abnormality and the deviant other
- Policing and police powers
- Protests, mass movements and rebellion
- Youth justice
- Consumer society and the commodification of beings
- Insecurity and precariousness in the globalised world
- Research methods and project
Please note that the modules listed are indicative and may be subject to change.
Having completed this degree, graduates will have a wide variety of career options they can explore. These include, but are not limited to:
- Social work
- Crime prevention
- Community work
- Court services
- Mental health
- Central and location government
Other areas where graduates can find opportunities include human resources, marketing, research and advertising.
- Voted 7th best city in the world for student living by Top Universities in 2018***
- Option to apply for a 18-month post-study residence permit**
- Excellent employment prospects*
- Learn from world-class international faculty in an international environment
- Reasonable cost of living in comparison to many other European countries
- Attractive to international students pursuing an education abroad
- Rich in culture, history and entertainment
- A vibrant start-up entrepreneurial city
- Study in Germany – the most popular option for international students^
* To become fully qualified within the Healthcare industry in Germany, you may be required to take an additional German course and examination which is approved by local authorities and accredited by relevant German institutions and associations.
** For more information please visit our section for International students.
*** By Top Universities in 2018.
^ Based on an annual survey by ICEF.
A deposit of €1,000 is required to begin with.
Arden University offers flexible payment plans* that allow you to spread the costs of your programme fees across multiple installments. If you apply today you can receive an early bird discount of €1,000.
- Key Facts
- Fees and Funding
- Entry Requirements